2021 will see the 13th Music in the City event.
Southampton’s biggest and best FREE music event is back for the 13th year, celebrating the wonderful diversity of musical talent from the Solent Area.
From Rock to Jazz, Classical to Americana, Folk to Blues in some of the best settings Southampton has to offer. From 800 year old historic buildings to the newest and the best coffee houses, restaurants and bars.
Our City will come alive with music in 22 venues with sounds and settings second to none. Who said it wouldn’t last?
We started the Festival in 2009 with the premise ‘The Community making Music for the Community’ and never anticipated that it would grow so fast!
We are so proud to once again, welcome our Residents and Visitors - giving you all the opportunity to enjoy a fantastic range of musical delights in some of the quirkiest places.
We thank all of our wonderful musicians for donating both their time and talent to you, their audience. So do come and join us on 2nd and 3rd October 2021 for some great sounds!
Former Southampton Mayor, Linda Norris
initially begun MITC whilst a Councillor and although it was originally set-up by a small group of people the event has grown year on year and goes from strength to strength.
Music in the City has a few simple aims:
- Help music in Southampton get the recognition it deserves
- Promote the great range of music in this city
- Get more people involved in music – singing, playing, learning, performing, and enjoying
- Support the music-making that improves many peoples’ health and happiness in life
- Bring music to places where it doesn’t usually happen, like our historic buildings
- Bring together the music communities in Southampton
- Hold a showcase festival every year to celebrate and get people involved.
Everyone is welcome under the Music in the City banner. We want to see the Music in the City logo widely used as a symbol of music’s contribution to the city, and a symbol of support for our aims.
If you share our aims or are involved, or just interested, in music in Southampton – join us. Get involved, and let’s make something happen.